SQUAD AND PREVIEW | WESTERN STORM (16 JULY)
Updated: Feb 27
Laura Marsh has selected a fourteen player squad for our first home Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy fixture of the season, with Western Storm travelling to Chelmsford on Saturday.
The squad go into the game off the back of a cruel 6 run defeat against Northern Diamonds last weekend, with Sunrisers well on top for the majority of the day in the Yorkshire heat.
Off-spinning all-rounders Grace Scrivens and Mady Villiers both claimed career best four wicket hauls, taking 4 for 20 and 4 for 36 respectively, as Sunrisers produced an excellent display in the field to bowl their hosts out for 195.
Amara Carr claimed five victims behind the stumps, taking four catches and a stumping off Villiers, as she produced another composed wicket-keeping display.
In return, Cordelia Griffith (29) and Scrivens (24) got us off to a solid start, with Naomi Dattani hitting 41 coming in at 3. Whilst the run-rate was in control, unfortunately wickets started to fall throughout the innings.
Jess Olorenshaw, on debut after being called up from the Academy, hit a thrilling 25 towards the back end of the innings as the Sunrisers total edged closer to the target.
Scarlett Hughes, Flo Miller, and Mia Rogers return to the squad having missed last week’s trip, and have been pushing for selection through their performances in training. Jodi Grewcock and Gaya Gole drop out.
Western Storm come into the game off the back of a 22-run loss against Central Sparks. This is their second visit of the season to Chelmsford, after our agonising last-ball defeat against them in the Charlotte Edwards Trophy in May.
The game starts at 10.30am at the Cloud County Ground. During the innings break, we will be announcing the winner of our Supporters’ 2022 Charlotte Edwards Cup Player of the Competition, sponsored by Sunshine Garden Centre.
The fixture is included in the Junior Sunnies Membership. Tickets are on sale through the Essex website, costing £10 for adults and £5 for Under 18s. If you are unable to make the journey to Chelmsford, you can tune into the Live Stream in our Match Centre on the day.
Sunrisers have named the following squad:
Kelly Castle (captain)
Naomi Dattani (vice-captain)
Scheduled Timings of the Day
· Gates open: 9.30am
· Toss: 10.00am
· First innings start: 10.30am
· The innings break is likely to be around 1.30pm
· The Supporters’ 2022 Charlotte Edwards Cup Player of the Competition presentation will take place immediately after the end of the first innings
· Scheduled second innings start: 2.00pm
· Scheduled end of play: 5.00pm
· Adult tickets cost £10, with Under 18 tickets at £5. You can buy online here, or on-the-day from the Ticket Hut on Hayes Close outside the ground.
· Under 8 Junior Sunnies Memberships are free. Find out more information here.
· Essex Members can enter for free by showing their Members Card upon arrival.
· Away fans are, of course, welcome.
· Sunrisers Merchandise will be available to purchase from the Sunrisers gazebo, which will be located around the side of the pavilion.
· Merchandise is currently only available to buy at home games. We're working on an online retail site, although unfortunately this is unlikely to be ready until towards the back end of the season.
· Entry to the ground is only via New Writtle Street, The Tees River Gate will remain closed throughout the game.
· For details on how to get the Cloud County Ground, and the parking that is available, please visit this page.
· The pavilion will be open for snacks and drink, but there will be no other food outlets open inside the ground. Spectators are welcome to bring food and drink into the ground, as long as they meet the ground regulations. These include:
o Spectators will not be permitted to bring alcohol into the ground.
o No metal cutlery or breakable kitchenware can be brought into the ground.
o The ground is a glass-free venue.
· The Cloud County Ground is a cashless ground, which includes purchasing tickets on the gates, and on food and drink purchases in the Doug Insole Pavilion and concourse areas.
· Match ticket Terms and Conditions can be viewed here.
· Sunrisers will play in their 50 over kit, which is black with thin red stripes.
Can’t get to the game?