VACANCY | SUNRISERS HEAD COACH
Job Title: Sunrisers Head Coach
Reports to: Sunrisers Regional Director of Women’s Cricket
Location: Sunrisers (London & East Region) - travel required
Contract: Full time - 37.5 hours per week
Term: Fixed term - 1 October 2022 - 30 September 2023
Purpose of the job:
It is Sunrisers Mission to deliver a successful and entertaining Sunrisers Senior Team, who inspire people across the region to consider cricket as a key component in their lives. In pursuit of this Sunrisers aim to identify and develop cricketers from across the region with the skills to progress to representation at Sunrisers Senior level and beyond. Through the support and development of the Sunrisers Senior team, Academy and Emerging Player Programme, a clear culture and style of play is to be nurtured, enabling contracted players to thrive in a professional environment.
The Sunrisers region comprises the Counties of Essex CCC, Northamptonshire CCC, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), with Middlesex Cricket acting as the Regional Host and the employer of this role. The Sunrisers Head coach will be responsible for the environment, people and culture of the Sunrisers Senior Team, ensuring there is a clear alignment with regional priorities and performance indicators.
The Sunrisers Head Coach will primarily work at Senior level, whilst ensuring clear direction is given to all relevant performance pathways and stakeholders. The role requires the management of assistant and skills coaches and MDT working with Sports Science & Medicine, Operations and Talent Development departments.
Reporting to the Regional Director of Women’s Cricket (RDoWC), the role will require extensive travel throughout the region as well as requiring extended hours, inclusive of weekends and bank holidays. We are seeking an individual with a track record of success in professional cricket and who will flourish in a high performing environment, having a positive impact on those around them.
• Create, and deliver, a high performing professional environment and player centred culture for all contracted and uncontracted players in Sunrisers Senior team.
• Prepare the team to compete in the ECB Women’s Regional domestic competitions, in line with performance targets set by the RDoWC.
• Develop the strategic direction and identity of the squad and programme that drives a successful Sunrisers Senior team.
• Contribute to the long-term direction of the underpinning talent pathway to ensure the balance of current and future needs of the team are met effectively.
• Manage the design and delivery of Player Personal Development Plan’s for all players in Sunrisers Senior squad, ensuring an effective review process and long-term accountability.
• Lead the delivery of Sunrisers senior team coaching programme, including the management of additional coaching resources as agreed with RDoWC.
• Input all relevant performance information to ensure a clear and objective appraisal process can take place which will be led by the RDoWC.
• Work closely with Sunrisers Sports Science and Sports Medicine team to ensure player readiness and injury management.
• Working alongside RDoWC, develop a Future Squad Strategy that informs player selection and contracting.
• Work closely with the England Women’s performance team to enhance player development, provide insight to player ID and ensure alignment of programmes year-round.
• Act as a positive role model and advocate for women’s cricket and work in collaboration with all partners to maximise resources and drive the improvement of domestic and international women’s cricket.
• To comply with individual’s responsibilities as laid out in MCCC’s health & safety policies and actively promote a positive health and safety culture.
• To comply with individual’s responsibilities as laid out in MCCC’s Equality & Diversity Policy and actively promote equality and diversity.
• To comply with individual’s responsibilities as laid out in MCCC’s confidentiality and data protection policies and maintain confidence
Note: The Job Description summarises the major role and responsibilities of the job. It is not intended to exclude the job holder being asked to undertake any other activities as required from time to time by the Regional Director of Women’s Cricket, nor future changes to the job holder’s responsibilities. The precise duties and responsibilities of any job may be expected to change over time. Job holders will be consulted over any proposed changes to this job description before implementation.
• Regional Director of Women’s Cricket
• Sunrisers Cricket Operations Manager
• Sunrisers Senior Regional Talent Manager • Sunrisers Assistant & Specialist Coaches • Sunrisers Science & Medicine staff • ECB & England Women performance staff • Regional Host (Middlesex Cricket) staff • Regional FCC & National County staff
The successful candidate will have the following experience / skills / qualities:
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
• Ability to build strong working relationships with players, and coaching and support staff
• Expertise in one specific cricket skill discipline
• Proven track record of success at a Professional/Elite Cricket level
• Relevant ECB coaching qualification to ensure knowledge and skills required to impact the development of professional cricketers
• Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and Safeguarding Children certification – a DBS disclosure is an impartial and confidential document that details an individual’s criminal record and where appropriate gives details of those who are barred from working with children
• Up to date first aid qualification
• High standards of personal and professional integrity
• Desire to challenge themselves and those around them in the pursuit of excellence
• High degree of organisation and ability to prioritise workloads • Honesty, tact and strong will to succeed
• Full UK Driving Licence and ability to travel independently to various venues across the region
• A degree in Sports Science, Coaching or a relevant field
• Experience working with female athletes in an elite environment
• An understanding and experience of best practice talent identification and selection processes
• Excellent IT skills with competent ability using Microsoft Office programmes
The post holder will be expected to work evenings and weekends as well as have flexibility to dovetail working arrangements in with fixture and training schedules that will change from year to year and across each season.
Please forward your CV and an accompanying Cover Letter, stating your suitability for the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you will be required to complete an application form if you are invited to interview as part of safer recruitment processes.
Closing date for applications is Friday 19th August 2022. Interviews will be held in the week commencing 29th of August 2022.
Please note that due to the volume of applications the Club receives, we are unable to provide specific feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Sunrisers & Middlesex Cricket are equal opportunity employers and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Sunrisers & Middlesex Cricket is committed to protecting and safeguarding the young people and children we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a process of vetting, including the disclosure of criminal records and the seeking of references. We ensure we have a range of policies and procedures inplace which promote safeguarding and safer work practice across our organisation and across all the services we provide.
The Club’s Privacy notice can be viewed here.